Dental Resources for Professionals
If you are visiting this site, you probably already treat individuals with disabilities, or you are willing to try. We know that most (75 percent) people with disabilities can be seen in a typical dentist’s office. We also know that certain people may require extra support. Below, please find links to information that might help in the dental care of people with disabilities.
Thank you for including everyone.
Information for Dental Professionals
Pennsylvania Coalition for Oral Health, Leading Change for Oral Health in Pennsylvania
A diverse group of leaders from across the state from schools or public health, philanthropic organizations, businesses, dental and medical organizations, federally-qualified health centers, health insurance firms, advocacy organizations and other champions that advance policies ad practices that increase access to oral health services and prevention education for our most vulnerable Pennsylvanians.
View resources at www.paoralhealth.org.
Community Water Fluoridation Reaches 70th Anniversary
As our nation prepares to observe the 70th anniversary of community water fluoridation, the Children’s Dental Health Project (CDHP) has created an online Fluoridation Tool-kit for oral health advocates. This tool-kit contains the following seven materials:
- 13 blog posts on community water fluoridation
- Memo for newspaper editors
- Letters to the Editor for newspapers
- Tips for talking to reporters
- Community water fluoridation remarks to city council
- Two versions of a resolution on community water fluoridation
- Social Media kit with 60 messages.
It is helpful to read the brief “How to Use the Kit” documents first. Click here for the Tool-Kit.
University of Washington School of Dentistry Special Needs Fact Sheets for Providers and Caregivers. These fact sheets cover dental information on a variety of disabilities.
Sign Language Interpreter Services for Medical Appointments Please scroll down on the website.
Dental Organizations That Support Individuals with Disabilities
Additional Information and Dental Resources
The National Maternal and Child Oral Health Resource Center (OHRC) has two new resources, which were developed to stimulate thinking about providing oral health care for children with special health care needs.
1. Oral Health Services for Children and Adolescents with Special Health Care Needs: Topics include continuing education for professionals, financing of care, disease prevention and early intervention strategies, public education and state and national data and programs. The guide is available at http://www.mchoralhealth.org/PDFs/SHCNResGuide.pdf.
2. Focus on Children with Special Health Care Needs provides a short list of high-quality journal articles, materials and websites focusing on children with special health care needs (CSHCN). The tool also offers automated PubMed and OHRC library search options for finding additional resources. The Resource Highlights are available at http://www.mchoralhealth.org/highlights/index.html.